Bilinski Foundation Fellowship
Call for Applications
Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2019
The University of New Mexico invites advanced doctoral students in the UNM graduate programs of American Studies, English, Foreign Languages & Literature, History, Linguistics, Philosophy, and Spanish & Portuguese to apply for a Russell J. and Dorothy S. Bilinski Fellowship. These newly established fellowships in the College of Arts & Sciences will provide valuable financial support for top, meritorious doctoral students with demonstrated financial need who are conducting research for, and or completing, their doctoral dissertations.
Bilinski Fellowships include a $31,000 stipend per award period (May 15 to July 15 the year after), and a stipend for health insurance. Applicants must be full‐time doctoral students in one of the above programs, having completed all qualifying departmental examinations and course requirements at the University of New Mexico and advanced to candidacy. Fellowship recipients must commit to defending their dissertations within the term of the award. Fellowship Funds will not be awarded if the dissertation has already been substantially completed.
Fellowship Eligibility & Criteria
To be awarded a Bilinski Fellowship, and to remain a Bilinski Fellow, and to be eligible to receive fellowship funds, each student recipient must meet and agree to ALL of the following criteria:
- Be a full‐time doctoral student in one of the graduate programs, who has passed all qualifying examinations and course requirements at the University of New Mexico and advanced to candidacy
- Maintain good academic standing at all times
- Have demonstrated exceptional ability and potential in his or her field of study
- Be a student who needs financial support to complete his or her degree
- For each semester (including summer periods) in which Fellowship funds are provided, must devote full‐time effort toward dissertation completion
- Abide by the University of New Mexico Academic Code of Conduct and
- Fellowship Funds are not to be awarded if the dissertation has already been substantially completed
Additional Eligibility Criteria
To be awarded a Fellowship, and to remain, a Bilinski Fellow, in addition to other eligibility criteria set
forth herein, to be eligible to receive an award, a Recipient must be a United States citizen or a
Permanent Resident eligible to apply for US citizenship.
To be considered for a Bilinski Fellowship, applicants must submit the following materials online by the deadline of 5:00 PM, March 1, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. See instructions below on required file type and file names.
Required Materials for Application
- Cover Sheet - The Bilinski Fellowship Application Cover Sheet signed by the applicant and the applicant’s advisor (cover sheet available online here)
- FAFSA Confirmation - Complete an Online FAFSA application, filed no later than March 1, at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Include a copy of your FAFSA email confirmation with your application.
- Financial Disclosure Form (form available online here)
- Professional Goals Statement - One‐page statement of the student’s professional goals as they relate to the advancement of humanities
- Dissertation Proposal - A proposal describing the dissertation that includes the following sections: proposal narrative (10 pages), bibliography (2 pages), timetable for completion (1 page), all double‐spaced
- Transcripts - Unofficial transcripts from all post‐secondary academic coursework
- CV - Curriculum vitae containing applicant’s previous education, teaching and research experience, and awards or honors
- Candidacy Status - Letter from the Department Graduate Program Director or the UNM Office of Graduate Studies certifying that the applicant has advanced to candidacy status or will so by the beginning of the upcoming academic year
- IRB Statement - Status statement on the submission of the dissertation proposal to the UNM Institutional Review Board, or, alternatively, a statement as to why the proposed research is not subject to IRB review
- A and 10. B Recommendation Letters - Two recommendation letters on departmental letterhead, submitted confidentially by recommender to email@example.com. One letter must be from the dissertation chair addressing the applicant’s ability to complete the dissertation in the time period allowed by the fellowship.
- Signed Fellow’s Agreement Form for Use of Bilinski Fellowship Funds (form available online here)
- Signed Statement from the Applicant’s Dissertation Chair (form available online here)
Instructions for Submitting an Application
Log on to your UNM account. Click the link below (or copy /paste) to access the Bilinski Fellowships at UNM application page. To create a new application, (click New and then Item), complete required information, upload your application materials in pdf format, Save your application. Select Edit all (pencil icon) to make edits, delete or upload attachments and Save your changes. To close your application, click on your My Accounts icon in the upper right corner and select sign out.
Please label your application materials as listed below using your last name, including numbers.
- Cover Last Name.pdf
- FAFSA Last Name.pdf
- Financial Last Name.pdf
- Goals Last Name.pdf
- Proposal Last Name.pdf
- Transcripts Last Name.pdf
- CV Last Name.pdf
- Candidacy Last Name.pdf
- IRB Last Name.pdf
- A Rec 1 Last Name.pdf
- B Rec 2 Last Name.pdf
- Use of Funds Last Name.pdf
- Chair Statement Last Name.pdf
For questions related to submitting your online application, please contact Joann Comerford at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-277-3841
Fellowship Selection Process
The Bilinski Fellowship Selection Committee will select top doctoral fellows based on the eligibility criteria presented above with an emphasis on both merit and financial need, as well as additional information included in the student’s application packet. The duration of the fellowship may be determined at the discretion of the Bilinski Fellowship Selection Committee. Fellowship recipients will be announced the first week of May, 2019.
For additional information re: the Bilinski Fellowship, please contact Lorenzo Garcia at email@example.com.