Bilinski Foundation Fellowship
The Bilinski Colloquium
Humanities Presentations by Doctoral Students Awarded the 2021/2022 Bilinski Dissertation Fellowships
12:50 PM - 4:00 PM
Thursday, November 18, 2021
Zoom Meeting ID: 939 5471 5312
Meeting link: https://unm.zoom.us/j/93954715312
- 1:00pm - Conference Style Presentations
- 3:15pm - Q&A with Fellows
Bilinski Fellowships include a $33,000 stipend for each award period, which is for a year and two months (May 15 to July 15) and a stipend for health insurance. Applicants must be full‐time doctoral students in one of the above programs, having completed all qualifying departmental examinations and course requirements at UNM and advanced to candidacy. Fellowship recipients must commit to defending their dissertations within the term of the award. Fellowship funds will not be awarded if the dissertation has already been substantially completed.
Eligibility & Criteria
To be awarded a Bilinski Fellowship, and to remain a Bilinski Fellow, and to be eligible to receive fellowship funds, each recipient must meet and agree to ALL of the following:
- Be a full‐time doctoral student in one of the humanities graduate programs, who has passed all qualifying examinations and course requirements at UNM and advanced to candidacy.
- Maintain good academic standing at all times.
- Have demonstrated exceptional ability and potential in his or her field of study
- Be a student who needs financial support to complete his or her degree.
- For each semester (including summer periods) in which Fellowship funds are provided, must devote full‐time effort toward dissertation completion.
- Abide by the University of New Mexico Academic Code of Conduct.
Additional Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible, awarded and remain a Bilinski Fellow, in addition to other eligibility criteria set forth herein, a recipient must be a United States citizen or a Permanent Resident eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship.
Applicants must submit the following materials online by 5:00 p.m. on March 1, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Required Materials to Apply
- Cover Sheet — Download the Bilinski Fellowship Application Cover Sheet here. This must be signed by the applicant and the applicant’s advisor.
- FAFSA Confirmation - Complete an online FAFSA application, which should be filed no later than March 1, 2021 at www.fafsa.ed.gov. To show this was completed, include a copy of the email confirmation sent by FAFSA.
- Financial Disclosure Form - Download the form here.
- Professional Goals Statement - One‐page statement of the applicant’s professional goals as they relate to the advancement of the humanities.
- Dissertation Proposal - A proposal describing the dissertation that includes the following sections: proposal narrative (10 pages), bibliography (2 pages), timetable for completion (1 page), all double‐spaced.
- Transcripts - Unofficial transcripts from all post‐secondary academic coursework.
- CV - Curriculum vitae containing applicant’s previous education, teaching and research experience, along with awards or honors.
- Candidacy Status - Letter from the Department Graduate Program Director or the UNM Office of Graduate Studies certifying the applicant has advanced to candidacy status or will so by the beginning of the upcoming academic year.
- IRB Statement - Status statement on the submission of the dissertation proposal to the UNM Institutional Review Board, or alternatively, a statement as to why the proposed research is not subject to IRB review.
- Recommendation Letters - Two recommendation letters on departmental letterhead, submitted confidentially by recommender to firstname.lastname@example.org. One letter must be from the dissertation chair addressing the applicant’s ability to complete the dissertation in the time period allowed by the fellowship.
- Signed Fellow’s Agreement Form for Use of Bilinski Fellowship Funds - Download the form here.
- Signed Statement from the Applicant’s Dissertation Chair - Download the form here.
How-To Submit Application Materials
Log on to your UNM account. Click the link below (or copy and paste in the web browser) to access the UNM Bilinski Fellowships Applicant Site. To create a new application, click New+ and then Item. Complete all required fields, upload your application materials in PDF format and Save your application. Select Edit all (pencil icon) to make edits, delete or upload attachments and Save your changes. To close your application, click My Accounts in the upper right corner and select Sign Out.
Before uploading your application materials, convert all documents to PDF format and label them as listed below with applicant’s last name.
Cover Sheet _Last Name.pdf
FAFSA Confirmation _Last Name.pdf
Financial Disclosure _Last Name.pdf
Goals _Last Name.pdf
Dissertation Proposal _Last Name.pdf
Transcripts _Last Name.pdf
CV _Last Name.pdf
Candidacy Status _Last Name.pdf
IRB _Last Name.pdf
Rec 1_Last Name.pdf
Rec 2_Last Name.pdf
Use of Funds _Last Name.pdf
Chair Statement _Last Name.pdf
The Bilinski Fellowship Selection Committee will select top doctoral fellows based on the eligibility criteria presented above with an emphasis on both merit and financial need, as well as additional information included in the student’s application packet. The duration of the fellowship may be determined at the discretion of the Bilinski Fellowship Selection Committee. Fellowship recipients will be announced the first week of May 2021.
For additional information, email email@example.com.