Welcome to the homepage for assessment in the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of New Mexico. Below, you may find important deadlines for the year as well as templates to help you with reporting.
If you have any questions, please contact the current Special Assistant to the Dean for Assessment, Eva Rodríguez-González, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Assessment Overview:
Any Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program requires an assessment plan and a report. Reports are due yearly, emailed as attachments to email@example.com. More details are provided below.
Deadline for Academic Year 2021-2022 program data: Wednesday, December 15, 2021
The deadline is December 15, 2021 for all programs.
- What do departments have to do? Departments need to have an assessment plan on file for every degree program and submit assessment report(s) annually. Please attend a workshop or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not know if your program has a plan. Plans should be updated at least every 5 years.
- What do I submit? A separate assessment report is due for each program every year in December. Click here for the .pdf template. Click here for the MS Word template.
- When do I submit? Deadline is Tuesday, December 15, 2020 for all programs.
- How do I submit? Click here for a 4 minute video overview of how to submit assessment plans and reports.
- Where do I submit? Email your department’s program reports as attachments to email@example.com
- Where do I get help? Workshops on program assessment are available in the Fall semester. See below for dates and times. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
General Education Overview:
NOTE: Questions regarding General Education course re-certification are handled by the Office of the Associate Provost for Curriculum and Assessment. Please click here for more information or contact Dr. Pamela Cheek, Associate Provost for Curriculum and Assessment or Associate Registrar, Michael Raine.
Changes to UNM Assessment of General Education coursework began in the 2019-2020 academic year. Departments with courses satisfying general education must collect evidence (artifacts) of student learning outcomes for essential skills, depending on the content area:
Deadline for academic year 2021-2022 General Education data: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 (for courses taught only in Fall) or May 15, 2022 (for courses taught in Fall and/or Spring).
- What do departments have to do? No plan is required. Departments must identify an artifact (piece of student work) that can be collected in relevant general education courses. Please attend a workshop or email email@example.com if you need help with artifact planning.
- What do I submit? Please submit artifacts that address the appropriate essential skill. Submitted artifacts must address at least 2 dimensions of the essential skills associated with your department's core curriculum area. You will need to submit a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 artifacts. Click here for information needed before submitting.
- When do I submit? If relevant courses are only taught in Fall and/or Spring, please collect artifacts and submit by Tuesday, December 15, 2021 deadline. If relevant courses are taught in Fall and/or Spring, please submit by the May 15, 2022 deadline.
- How do I submit? Watch this less than 4-minute video on how to upload your artifacts. Click here.
- Where do I submit? Click here for link to the submission form.
- Where do I get help? Workshops on general education assessment are available Fall and Spring semesters. See below for dates and times. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
CARC Assessment Grants:
Depending on the availability of funds, A&S offers assessment improvement and learning grants. Call for applications normally takes place in Spring 2022. Please find the application attached here. Applications can be used for either General Education or Program assessment. Applications are due by Friday, April 22nd 2022 and should be emailed directly to email@example.com.
For funded applications, a report should be submitted in the Spring semester following the date of the award to firstname.lastname@example.org that 1) demonstrates the completed work and (2) presents the preliminary assessment of student learning based on the completed work. Grant report template can be found here.
Fall 2021 Workshops:
Program Assessment: Tuesday, October 26th, 3.00pm
General Education Assessment: Wednesday, October 27th, 3:00 PM
Program Assessment: Friday, November 19th, 10:00 AM
Office of Assessment:
Fall 2021 Office of Assessment/APR Worshops
*All workshops are offered on Friday, begin at 10:00 am, and will be virtual:
- Renewing Assessment Plans - September 10th, 2021
- Understanding the APR Data Packet - September 17th, 2021
- Developing Retrospective (Post-Pre) Surveys - September 24th, 2021
- General Education Assessment - October 1st, 2021
- Strategic Planning - October 15th, 2021
- (Spooky) Data Visualization Principles - October 29th, 2021
- Rubric Analysis - November 5th, 2021
- Spring 2022 Repository Upload Training - January 28th, 2022
Please Register for the Fall workshops here.
This infographic from the Office of Assessment provides an overview of the institution-wide process of assessment. Please refer above for Arts & Sciences specific deadlines and requirements.