Skip to main content

Studies Advisement FAQ: Africana, American, Chicana/o, International, Latin American, Religious, Women, Asian, Peace & Justice, Sustainability, Race

Departmental Advisement FAQ

Scheduling an Appointment

You can schedule an advising appointment with Farah Nousheen via LoboAchieve or by calling the Arts & Sciences Advisement Center at 505-277-4621 and requesting a first-available advising appointment for your major, minor or certificate.  For help with scheduling in LoboAchieve visit here.

If I do not show up as your advisor in LoboAchieve, call 505-277-4621 to schedule an appointment, or come to walk-ins in Humanities 415A, Tuesdays 1:15-4pm, Friday 8:30-noon & 1:15-4pm.

Walk-ins and appointments are mostly held at Humanities 415A, Tuesdays 1:15-4pm, Friday 8:30-noon & 1:15-4pm. During the Fall & Spring semesters, Wednesday Afternoon Appointments are held at the Latin American Iberian Institute,

Away for National Exchange? Studying Abroad? Online Student?

If you are not able to be at UNM Main Campus in Albuquerque for your advisement appointment, you can schedule a Skype or phone appointment with me just like you would an in-person appointment. Be sure that your appointment time is in Mountain Standard Time (MST); rather than calculating the time difference yourself, it is best to confirm time zone difference with a tool such as World Meeting Planner,

For Skype video appointments, indicate in the appointment notes that it is a Skype appointment and include your Skype ID. My Skype ID is farahnousheen. Then a few minutes before the appointment time, send me an Instant Message letting me know you are ready. I will initiate the video call with you when i'm ready.

For Phone appointments, indicate in the appointment notes that it is Phone appointment and include your phone number. Then a few minutes before the appointment, call 505-277-4621 and asked to be transferred to me for a phone appointment. Note, the call must be initiated by the student. I will not call you when it is time for an appointment, and thus you may miss your appointment if you do not call 505-277-4621!

During Walk-in hours, I have my Skype on to take online walk-ins. If you would like a phone walk-in, it’s best to email me at to check if i'm available for a phone walk-in. I will give the best time to call based on the number of students in the waiting room.


First, check the Registration Hold(s) on LoboWeb:

  • Log-in to using your UNM Net ID and Password
  • Select the Student Life Tab
  • Click on LoboWeb
  • Click on Registration & Records

         Registration (Add/Drop), Course search, Check for Holds

         Registration portal

         Check My Registration Status

         Choose term

Admissions Hold: Contact Admissions at 505-277-8900 or

Bursar Hold: Contact Bursar at 505-277-5363 or

New Student Learning Workshop Hold: Contact the Arts & Sciences Advisement Center at 505-277-4621 to reserve a spot in one of the workshops held daily (check your email for days/times available).

Graduation Planning Workshop Hold:

This hold means that it is time to start planning the semesters leading to your graduation. For several of the studies (majors, minors), the LoboTrax audit does not read correctly. If you are unclear about what is remaining, it’s best to set up an appointment with me. If you audit is up to date, contact the Arts & Sciences Advisement Center at 277-4621 to reserve a spot in one of the workshops held daily (check your email for days/times available).

New to A&S Hold: Use LoboAchieve or contact the Arts & Sciences Advisement Center at 277-4621 to set up appointment with me. 

Department Orientation Hold: If your first major is one of the Studies, use LoboAchieve or contact the Arts & Sciences Advisement Center at 277-4621 to set up appointment with me.

Orientation Holds are holds placed by the Dean of Students. Please call 277-3361 for more information.

Additional information on Holds is on Fastinfo #6617,

Registration Errors and Restricted Sections

Here is the list of registration errors when you are adding a class and how to resolve them:

For Online CCS courses, some sections are for students in the Chicana/o Studies Managed Online Program (MOP). You will receive something like “Program error”. That means you are not eligible to enroll in the course, and need to register for a different section of the same course.

If you are a MOPS student and you receive an error for MOPS section, that means you might need an override for the course. Set up an appointment or email me at with your name, UNM ID, complete course info (course number, section, title, day/time) and the exact error that you received.

Degree Planning

While degree plans are available on the UNM website (, all of the studies rely on advisement for success for completion of the degree and to make the most of their college experience. Interdisciplinary studies provide opportunities to take courses from various departments and programs throughout the UNM. Each semester offers courses that may be valuable for the student.

International Studies: This major as the first or second major requires close advisement because essentially it is a customized degree plan. Every student must meet with me every semester to ensure that requirements are on track and that the student gains the necessary knowledge needed to live and work with a global perspective. Study abroad is required and encouraged. A few students are granted alternative projects to meet the study abroad requirement. However, it is not only a requirement but crucial that the student selects a program that will inform their senior capstone project. Thus, advisement with both myself and an International Studies faculty advisor is necessary.

Africana, American, and Women Studies Minors:

If you have one of these minors, you may be eligible to upgrade to a second major! Schedule an appointment with me.

All Other Studies

The following First Majors, Second Majors, Minors and Certificates also require advisement for degree and coursework planning:

  • Africana Studies
  • American Studies
  • Asian Studies (minor only)
  • Chicana and Chicano Studies
  • International Studies
  • Latin American Studies
  • Peace & Justice Studies  (minor and certificate only)
  • Race & Social Justice Studies (certificate only)
  • Women Studies

For the following Second Majors and Minors advisement is suggested:

  • Religious Studies (Second major may need advisement, minor does not need advisement)
  • Sustainability (Advisement for minor will enhance the experience)


Other Information


If you have a UNM email address, please re-send your email via your UNM Address.


Important semester deadlines, forms, and lots of other info can be found here:

You can get many questions answered and also speak with a Live Chat representative at

If you need "emergency advisement" and you cannot get hold of Farah, please call 505-277-4621.

All student inquiries should be directed to or (505) 277-4621