Frank O. and Sadie M. Lane ScholarshipEligibility: Female students who are completing their sophomore year of study and have two years remaining before graduation. Only those majoring in the hard sciences and/or math with a non-medical emphasis may apply
Currently Offered?: No
The College of Arts and Sciences is now accepting applications for Frank O. and Sadie M. Lane Scholarships. These scholarships are designed to support outstanding female undergraduates who intend to pursue graduate study in the sciences. These scholarships will offer $2000 each fall and spring semester and a $2000 summer stipend each year for up to two years, a total of $12,000. The scholarships are intended to support students who seek careers as scientists (not as medical doctors).
Criteria for scholarship candidates:
- Female students who are completing their sophomore year of study and have two years remaining before graduation.
- Candidates must be majors in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Earth and Planetary Sciences, Physics, or Math.
- Candidates must have an overall GPA of at least 3.3 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in math and science courses.
- Students may be nominated by faculty or may nominate themselves.
- Full-time (at least 12 credit hours)
- Unofficial transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of intent (up to two pages) that clearly states their interest in a professional career in science.
- Two letters of reference from faculty members or individuals who are familiar with the applicant’s academic record.
- Applications must be submitted by March 2, 2018, to Alice Hollow Horn, MSC03 2120, College of Arts and Sciences, Ortega Hall Room 201. Email submissions encouraged.
- Screening of applications and announcement of scholarships will be completed by April 15, 2018.
- Lane Scholars will be matched with a mentor by the end of the spring semester and begin research during summer 2018.
- Lane Scholars will submit a preliminary research report to the Lane Scholarship Committee by Feb 15, 2019. This report and success in classes will be used to determine eligibility for a second year of support.
- Lane Scholars will submit a final report by April 15, 2020.